Temporary Assistance

Temporary Assistance
Temporary Assistance is a financial assistance program that offers temporary help to individuals and families on a short-termed basis until the household is able to achieve self-sufficiency.


  • Family Assistance (FA) is for families with minor children. It provides cash assistance to eligible families in need that have minor children living with a parent or caretaker. Non-parent caregivers, who are caring for children living in their home without their parent, may be eligible for financial assistance or other supports. Additional information is provided here: Know Your Resources: Nonparent Caregiver Benefits(Pub. 5194). Family Assistance operates under the TANF guidelines with time limits of five years.
  • Safety Net Assistance (SN) is for individuals, childless couples, and families who have met their 60-month time limit. Cash benefits are limited to two-year time limits. After two years, non-cash assistance vouchers are issued. Learn more about ACEs – Understanding Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) by clicking on the following link https://ocfs.ny.gov/programs/cwcs/aces.php.

Emergency Assistance
Emergency Assistance to Families (EAF) and Emergency Safety Net Assistance (ESNA) provide assistance to families with crisis situations that are threatening the family such as: evictions, utility shut-offs, and diversion payments to prevent the household from applying for ongoing assistance. Some examples of an emergency are : 

  • You are homeless.
  • You have little or no food.
  • Your landlord has given you a written eviction.
  • You do not have fuel for heating during cold weather.
  • Your utilities are shut-off or are about to be shut-off, or you have a 72-hour disconnect notice.
  • You or someone in your family has been beaten, abused or threatened with violence by a husband, wife, partner or other member of the household.

Temporary Assistance Application
To find out if you are eligible to receive Temporary Assistance, including help with an emergency, you need to submit a Application for Certain Benefits and Services (LDSS-2921) to the Jefferson County Department of Social Services. The application can be found here:

You can also check your eligibility for economic supports at: https://mybenefits.ny.gov