The following ethical principles will govern the conduct of the Jefferson County Purchasing Department:
1. We believe in the dignity and worth of the services rendered by the County and the responsibilities assumed as a trusted public servant.
2. We are governed by the highest standards of integrity in all public and personal relationships in order to merit the respect and inspire the confidence of the County and the Public being served.
3. We believe that personal profit obtained through misuse of Public or personal relationships is dishonest and not tolerable.
4. We will identify and eliminate participation of any individual in operational situations where a conflict of interest may be involved.
5. At no time, or under no circumstances will we accept directly or indirectly, gifts, gratuities, or other things of value from suppliers, which might influence or appear to influence purchasing decisions.
6. We will address all personnel matters on a merit basis, and in compliance with applicable laws, prohibiting discrimination in employment on the basis of politics, religion, color, national origin, disability, gender, age, pregnancy and other protected characteristics.
7. We will not seek or dispense personal favors, and handle each problem objectively and empathetically, without discrimination.
8. We will follow the laws of the County, New York State and the Federal Government.
9. We will avoid activities, which would compromise or give the perception of compromising the best interest of the County.
10. We will reduce the potential of perceptions of preferential treatment by promoting competition.
11. We will obtain the maximum value for funds spent.
12. We will not engage in personal business with any company that is a supplier to the County.
13. We will never solicit or accept money, loans, credit or prejudicial discounts, gifts, entertainment, favors or services from present or potential suppliers which might influence or appear to influence purchasing decisions.
14. All gifts offered shall be returned with an explanation or if perishable, either returned or donated to a charity in the name of the supplier.
15. We will purchase without prejudice, striving to obtain the maximum value for each dollar of expenditure.