Welcome to the official website of Jefferson County New York

Vehicle and Traffic Charges

The District Attorney’s Office is responsible for the prosecution of all traffic infractions occurring in Jefferson County, with the exception of alleged violations of municipal ordinances (for example, parking tickets). If you have been charged with a traffic violation and you do not wish to hire an attorney, you may represent yourself.

Requests for Reduction:

If you have been charged with a vehicle and traffic law violation, you may be eligible for a reduction of your charge. If you wish to request a reduction of the traffic charge(s) filed against you, please complete a Traffic Reduction Request Form (click here) and return it to:

The Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office
175 Arsenal Street
Watertown, New York 13601

Please include:
• a legible photocopy of the ticket(s)
• a driver’s abstract (may be obtained from your local Department of Motor Vehicles in person or, if you are licensed in New York State, by following the mail request instructions at http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv15.pdf )
• a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE)
• if an accident occurred, a copy of the accident report (may be obtained from the arresting agency or online at http://dmv.ny.gov/forms and/or http://dmv.ny.gov/get-accident-report )

(* Please note that this office will not respond to non-attorney requests for reductions by mail by individuals charged with Driving While Intoxicated, Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs or Alcohol, Aggravated Unlicensed Operation a Motor Vehicle or Reckless Driving.)

When your paperwork is received by the District Attorney’s Office, it will be reviewed by an Assistant District Attorney and a written response will be mailed to you. Due to the large number of requests received by this office, it may take up to 4 weeks to receive a response. Incomplete forms, unsigned forms or forms submitted without the required documents will not receive a response.

Requesting a reduction does not excuse you from scheduled court appearances. Please contact the court where the ticket is pending ( click here for local court addresses and phone numbers) to request an adjournment to allow you time to receive a response from this office.

When you receive an offer from the District Attorney, you may accept it by signing the offer form and mailing it to the court at the address on the form. If you choose not to accept the offer, you must contact the court to schedule a trial date on the original charge(s). You should keep a copy of all tickets, requests and attachments for your records.