Real Property Tax Services
Roxanne M. Burns, Director Office Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- July & August: 8:00am to 4:00pm
175 Arsenal Street
Watertown, NY 13601
Phone: (315) 785-3074
Fax: (315) 785-3377
- To provide assessment services to all taxing jurisdictions in Jefferson County.
- To provide technical and professional assistance to other county departments, governments and school districts.
- To assist the taxpayers/public in any phase of real property tax administration.
- To maintain annually tax maps (except City of Watertown).
- To assist local assessors with data collection and valuation of complex properties.
- To work with ORPTS (Office of Real Property Tax Services) and other counties on proposed or new legislation, rules and regulations.
- To promote and maintain assessment equity in Jefferson County.
- To maintain E911 Addresses
Types of Services and Assistance
- Assist local assessors in orientation and training
- To provide orientation and training for members of Boards of Assessment Review. Coordinate all required training with ORPTS.
- To assist local assessors in completion of annual reports and other forms as required. To package and timely distribute various tax roll forms ( i.e., compliant forms, correction of errors forms, oaths, board of review changes).
- To provide research for technical and legal questions for local officials as well as update and distribute information on new legislation.
- Assist local assessors in small claims hearings, equalization rate hearings.
Coordinate and edit all assessment roll changes and the submission of requests for special equalization rates.
- Work with all collectors in tax roll preparation (i.e., stuffers, bills, lists, etc.).
- Send required items/forms to ORPTS on timely basis (i.e., tax rolls, equalization reports, sales).
- Prepare and submit reports to Clerk of Board of Legislators regarding mortgage tax distribution, special franchise, footings of clerk, etc.
- Coordinate and add to tax rolls (and include in local budgets) omitted taxes, prorated taxes, roll back taxes, special district re-levies.
- Prepare, complete and distribute town tax rolls and tax bills. Forward utility and State-owned land tax bills to treasurer and County land tax bills to auditor.
- Assist local officials in pilot impact, analysis and negotiations.
- To maintain and timely update tax maps (except City of Watertown) for towns and villages.
- To provide technical expertise to local officials, other County Departments, and the public on the maps, mapping problems and other tax map matters.
- To assist local assessors in on-going data collection. To record and monitor building permits as a source of maintenance and quality control.
- To develop land value maps, neighborhood delineation, unit structure and improvement costs.
- To coordinate and assist in field review in update towns.
- To value commercial properties for local assessors.
- To coordinate all value changes and modify exemptions as needed.
- To hold public hearings and do needed follow up field work.
- Coordinate any related activities with ORPTS.
- To maintain the E911 addressing database for all towns and three villages.
- To reconcile addressing problems and assist public in related items.
- Provide liaison with utilities and in particular telephone companies.
- To continually improve the present maintenance system.