Due to COVID-19 concerns, the Jefferson County Veterans Services Office will not be accepting walk-ins at this time. We will be meeting with our Veterans by appointment only. Please call (315)785-3086 to schedule an appointment or email email@example.com.
To provide information and help veterans, family members, and active military members obtain assistance and benefits from the Veterans Administration(VA).
- VSA IS OPEN 9:00-5:00 (MONDAY-FRIDAY) FROM SEPTEMBER TO JUNE AND 8:30-4:00 DURING JULY AND AUGUST. THERE ARE NO FEES FOR VSA SERVICES, AND ALL MATTERS ARE STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.
- Appointments are recommended as specific documents and information are usually required.
- Decisions regarding VA benefits are made at a Regional Office (RO). If you move to a new area, you should request your file be moved to the corresponding RO.
- If a service connected (SC) condition worsens, you can request a rating increase.
- Many veterans are eligible for VA health care. To apply, contact VSA for the application form and assistance. Veterans may pay a co-pay if treated by VA.
- The VA has created 'ebenefits' which allows veterans to access information about a pending claim and to request information from the VA. See the link above for details on registering.
AVAILABLE SERVICES AND BENEFITS
The VSA will help complete forms and application packets. We monitor the status of the claim and submit additional information/documents as required. We act as the claimant's representative when dealing with VA. Some of the available services include:
- Develop and file claims to VA for Service-Connected Disabilities, Disability Pension, Death Pension, Medical and Dental Treatment, Clothing and Automobile Allowances and other benefits.
- Work with VA clinic and VA medical center staff to verify enrollment.
- In cooperation with the Office of the County Clerk, Military Reports of Separation are recorded for preservation purposes. Also, when an individual requires certified copies, they are obtained at no-cost.
- Provide homeowners with tax exemption applications and eligibility criteria. Apply for Home Loan Guarantee Certificates for individuals buying a home.
- Obtain legal documents (Divorce Decrees, Death Certificates, etc) needed to support a claim.
- VSA will assist in applying for New York State benefits including Hunting and Fishing Licenses, Park Passes, Military Awards, and Civil Service Credits.
- Obtain Veterans Administration Burial Allowances and Grave Markers.
- Obtain Awards and Decorations at the request of the veteran or survivors.
LAWS OF COMBAT
The following list was compiled by battle toughened veterans that want to pass their knowledge to other generations. Keep these tips in mind!
- If your attack is going well, it's an ambush.
- If the enemy is in range, so are you.
- Tracers work in both directions.
- The enemy diversion you are ignoring is the main attack.
- Never share a foxhole with someone braver than you.