Transfer Station Guidelines
Jefferson County Drop-Off For Waste and Recyclables For County Residents
- Jefferson County's transfer station is open to all residents of the County for the disposal of solid waste and recyclables. The transfer station is located at 27138 NYS Route 12 , 4 1/2 miles north of the City of Watertown.
- The County will accept solid waste, bulky items, such as furniture, construction debris and junk, at $123 per ton . There is a minimum scale fee of $10.00. Vehicles with bulky items will be weighed in and out on the County's certified truck scales. All sales transactions will be cash or check only. Credit or debit cards are not accepted.
- To avoid long lines at the scale and/or paying the minimum scale fee prepaid County garbage bags are available for purchase at the transfer station for $3 per sticker . Stickers are also available at the The General Store on Bradley Street.
- Recyclables and white goods (stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, etc.), will be accepted at no charge.
- The station is closed on major holidays.
- There is a narrow one-way road on the right-hand side as you approach the scale house (the first building). Residents that are bringing pre-paid bags or recyclables that do not to get weighed should use this road. It leads to the recyclable drop-off area and the garbage dumpsters.
- Residents who wish to use the station for the disposal of bulky items (too big to fit in bags), should drive onto the scales and ask for further instructions.
- Residents with scrap metal should inquire at the scales.
- Residents with bulky items and prepaid bags or no-charge items should weigh in first, then unload the bulky items and weigh out and pay before unloading the other material.
- For more information, please call 315-786-6900 during the station's weekday operating hours.