Martin J. Morrison, Director
175 Arsenal Street, 6th Floor
Watertown, New York 13601
Phone: (315)785-3065 or (315)785-3058
Fax: Adult Services (315)785-3299, Juvenile Services (315) 785-5094
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., plus evening Report Stations in Chaumont, Carthage, Adams, Clayton, and Theresa.
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. July and August
The mission of the Jefferson County Probation Department is foremost the protection of the community by offering services aimed toward the rehabilitation of offenders. This is achieved by providing supervision of individuals sentenced to or placed on Probation, providing pre-sentence and pre-dispositional investigations to the various courts to aid in sentencing, providing Intake services for Family Court, and providing efficient and cost effective alternatives to incarceration programs.
- To provide services to Supreme, County, City, and Family courts as well as 44 town and village justice courts.
- To conduct complete and objective investigations for the courts.
- To supervise those persons placed on Probation so that the individual, family, and the community are able to achieve mutual needs and goals.
- To provide a referral service to other agencies better equipped to handle certain problems.
Types Of Services, Assistance
- Intake Services: A preliminary procedure related to Family Court regarding Juvenile Delinquency and Persons in Need of Supervision. Intake is a screening process to determine which cases can be properly adjusted or referred to Family Court.
- Pre-Sentence Investigation Function: A report prepared for the courts, based on extensive investigation and interviews, which provides information on the offender's background, present circumstances, and includes a recommendation for disposition.
- Supervision: Provides the counseling and monitoring services of a Probation Officer to the offender in order to help himher achieve a sense of purpose in life, maturity, and ability to resolve conflicts or problems.
- Collect money for all the courts in the county including : restitution, DWI fines and surcharges, and drug and alcohol testing fees.
- Training opportunities for students pursuing a profession in Criminal Justice, Social Work, or other related fields of study by allowing them to obtain their field work experience.
- Provide Release on Recognizance and Release Under Supervision from Jefferson County Jail for alleged criminals who cannot raise bail.
- Provide supervision for Conditional Release cases out of County Jail.
- Provide Electronic Home Detention to defendants in lieu of jail or prison.
- Provide Intensive Supervision Program for both adults and juveniles.
Referrals accepted from police agencies, schools, courts, and social agencies. Also from family members or the individual on an appointment basis.