Welcome to the official website of Jefferson County New York

General Information
Kathleen Kazakoff
Deputy Director
NY Connects
Louise Haraczka
Aging Services Specialist
Health Insurance Information Counselor
Michele Mahon
Aging Services Specialist
Health Insurance Information Counselor, NY Connects
Danielle Fazio
Aging Services Specialist
EISEP Case Manager
Dori-Ann Froelich
Aging Services Specialist
EISEP Case Manager
Renee Williams
Aging Services Specialist
Long Term Care Coordinator
Kenneth Thomas
Aging Services Specialist
Home Delivered Meals Case Manager
Monique Medsger
Senior Account Clerk
Michelle Malbouf
Principal Account Clerk
Brenda Stauber
Sabrina Cummins
Registered Dietician
Mary Beth Knowlton
Phone Numbers
Emergencies: Dial 911
175 Arsenal St
2nd Floor

NY Connects

If you have a questions, but don't quite know where to start- NY Connects is the perfect starting point. NY Connects is your trusted place to go for free, unbiased information about long term services and supports in New York State for people of all ages or with any type of disability. 

NY Connects Website 

Common Questions/Situations:

1. I [or someone I care about] needs help with personal care and housekeeping. 

  • People with Medicaid will be directed to Jefferson County DSS Home Management for assistance with hiring and coordinating services: 315-785-3000 ext 3242
  • Those whose income falls below $1,595 (single) or $2,155 (couple) are eligible for EISEP services
  • Those whose income is above criteria above are still eligible for EISEP services with a cost-share option.

    *Please call the office to complete an EISEP application over the phone or complete the EISEP Application here and stop in/mail to the office.

2. How can I hire homecare on my own?

Licensed Home Health Care Agencies:

  • Caregivers Inc: 315-788-3269
  • U.S. Care Systems: 315-376-6070
  • Seniors Helping Seniors: 315-405-4950

You can hire homecare services without going through a licensed agency, however you must be cautious of the risks involved.

Care.com has a great article that explains the pros and cons: Hiring a caregiver: Should you work with an agency or find your own?

3. I believe my loved one is in a unsafe situation.

If you feel there is immediate danger PLEASE CALL 911.

  • Adult Protective Services: 315-785-8222. 
  • 24 Hour Crisis Response: 315-782-2327

4. My home is in need of repairs or I need help with heavy chores. 

The Office For the Aging has a home modification & chores financial assistance program for qualified residents of Jefferson County. The program is available to seniors 60 or older that are eligible to receive HEAP benefits. Please complete the Home Modification & Chores Financial Assistance Program Application and submit it to our office via mail or fax and a case worker will contact you, or you can call the office at 315-785-3191. 

5. I am being kicked out of my home/ I have no where to live.

Watertown Housing Authority: 315-782-1251

Fair Housing Office at CAPC: 315-782-4900

Jefferson County Department Of Social Services: 315-785-3000

Adult Protective Services: 315-785-3210

Catholic Charities: 315-788-4330