******Department of Human Resources******
Any Postponed Civil Service Exams for 2020 will be re-scheduled.
Notice will be provided on the specific exams and their re-scheduled date as the information becomes available.
You may apply for current exams online at: https://jefferson-portal.mycivilservice.com/
We can be reached by phone at (315)785-3147 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Valerie M. Nugent , Director
175 Arsenal Street
Watertown, New York 13601
Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday
Summer Hours: (July and August) 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday
Civil Service Exam Announcements and Other Job Positions
Human Resources/Civil Service Forms
NYS Department of Civil Service
Exam Study Guides
Plan For Operations in the Event of a Public Health Emergency
- To provide advice and assistance to the County, towns, villages, school districts, and special districts regarding civil service matters.
- To provide comprehensive personnel and labor relations services to Jefferson County government.
Types Of Services, Assistance
- Position Study and Classification: Upon request the office will review position duties statements to determine the proper title of positions in the classified service. The office also maintains and updates a complete list of job specifications for all job titles that exist in the jurisdiction.
- Examination Requests and Administration: The office administers civil service examinations for competitive class titles. After receiving results of the examinations the successful candidates are ranked according to score. When a vacancy in a competitive class position occurs, a list of the top three eligible candidates will be certified for appointment to the proper appointing officer.
- Payroll Certification: Payroll documents are periodically reviewed for each jurisdiction in order to verify the status of all classified employees in an agency. This process also serves to insure that personnel practices have been performed in accordance with Civil Service Law.
- Roster Records: A permanent civil service history file is maintained for each employee. This history file will show all civil service transactions that occur during an employees career providing they were employed by an agency in this jurisdiction.
- Technical Assistance: Consultation is available on the proper procedures for appointments, promotions, transfers, layoffs, terminations, and disciplinary action under Civil Service Law.
- County Personnel: Personnel and labor relations services are provided for Jefferson County departments.
Information may be obtained by calling (315)785-3147 during regular business hours.