Welcome to the official website of Jefferson County New York

Youth and Young Adult Services

                                                            Youth & Young Adult Services

The Youth & Young Adult Programs are available for those under the age of 25 (if you meet certain criteria).  Our school year program runs the calendar year, while our summer program runs from July to August.  Please find specific descriptions of the programs below.  


**Stay tuned for more information on the 2023 Summer Youth Employment Program!**

The application for the program can be found by clicking on the green wording:   Youth Employment Program Application


The application process does NOT secure a position in the SYEP.  Applicants must qualify for the program and be ready and able to work in any geographic location within Jefferson County.  Each applicant must also attend a mandatory Orientation session, which will be scheduled in May and June.  Applicants will be notified of the date, time and location of the Orientation.  


During this Orientation, the applicant is required to bring in: original working papers, current photo ID, social security card or birth certificate and proof of your qualification into the SYEP (Medicaid insurance card, proof of receiving public assistance and/or proof of income).  The WorkPlace staff will notify applicants of what documentation is required for Orientation Day. Please be sure to answer phone calls or return messages (voicemail) from WorkPlace staff in a timely manner.  

Scroll further down this page to find more information on how to obtain your original working papers


Workers will also participate with an event held at Westcott's Beach and an educational event held at Jefferson Community College. More details will be provided to those who will participate in the SYEP.  We will also be planning team building events throughout the entire summer! 


Applications can be submitted by fax (315-786-7665), email (ebrown@co.jefferson.ny.us), regular mail or in person via our outdoor mailbox (1000 Coffeen Street). 

This program is separate from the Summer Youth Employment Program.  Young adults between ages 16-24 may apply for this program. 

The application for this program can be found here:   Youth Employment Program Application 


The WIOA Work Experience Program provides temporary job placement and subsidized income for a period of time.  Many participants have gone on to work in unsubsidized employment and will remain at the worksite that they have been placed in!  At this time, we are only accepting applications for those who are not in middle school, high school and/or college.   Applicants must qualify for this program by answering "Yes" to one of the questions below:.

  1. Is the applicant a high school dropout?
  2. Has the applicant ever been detained, arrested, or have any involvement with the criminal justice system?
  3. Is the applicant homeless?
  4. Has the applicant ever been in the foster care system and/or aged out of the system?
  5. Is the applicant pregnant and/or already has a child/children?
  6. Does the applicant have a documented learning, emotional or physical disability?


Click on the links below to learn more about your personality and career interests!

https://sunyjefferson.emsicc.com/assessment?region=Watertown,%20NY&radius= - Jefferson Community College's Career Coach provides a real time assessment of career options based on your level of interest in specific functions.

http://whoami.typefocus.com/ - Personality is what makes you unique! The better you know yourself, the better choices you will make in regards to your career.

https://career.missouri.edu/career-interest-game/ - This is an activity that is designed to help you match your interests and skills with similar careers.


Please visit the "Classroom Training Grants" section of The WorkPlace website for information on how to apply for this funding.  Note that not every major is accepted for funding through the Classroom Training program.  


If you are under age 18, you need working papers in order to have a job in New York State.  Please contact the guidance office of the school district that you live in to schedule an appointment to fill out an application and provide documentation to the guidance counselor.  You will also need to have a physical or provide proof that you have had a physical within the last year. 


For ages 14 & 15, BLUE working papers are required.  For ages 16 & 17, GREEN working papers are required.  For ages 16 & 17 who are not in school, PEACH or TAN working papers are required.


Below is a list of the school districts in Jefferson County.  Please visit the links next to the school district for further information on guidance counselors.

Alexandria - https://www.alexandriacentral.org/domain/110

Belleville Henderson - https://www.bhpanthers.org/domain/98

Carthage High School - https://hs.carthagecsd.org/information/school_counseling

General Brown - https://www.gblions.org/domain/54

Indian River - https://www.irhs.ircsd.org/cms/one.aspx?pageId=559065

LaFargeville - https://sites.google.com/a/lafargevilleapps.org/lcs-counseling/

Lyme - https://www.lymecsd.org/Page/744

Sackets Harbor - http://www.sacketspatriots.org/departments/school_counseling_office

South Jeff - http://www.spartanpride.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1759

Thousand Islands - http://www.1000islandsschools.org/departments/guidance

Watertown - https://www.watertowncsd.org/domain/491

IHC - https://www.ihcschool.org/

For questions or more information on our programs, please contact:

     Ethan Brown, Youth Employment Coordinator
      Phone:  315-786-3671

Follow us on social media!  Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok!

Account Name: WorkPlaceYouth