Jefferson County Dog Shelter
Todd L Cummings , Director of Dog Control
21897 County Road 190
Watertown, New York 13601
Phone: (315) 779-5900
Fax: (315) 779-1295
Monday - Friday - 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
Saturday - 8:00 A.M. to NOON
Sunday - closed
After-hours Emergencies: Pager service through 911 Dispatch Center, covering City Police, Jefferson County Sheriff's Department and New York State Police.
- To provide services according to our agreement with the 15 towns in Jefferson County and the City of Watertown.
- Rendering to the towns, dog control services and pound or shelter services as set forth in Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law with exception of Section 122 therefore commonly referred to as 'leash law'.
- To provide Public Awareness and Education to residents of Jefferson County and have Public Displays setup at events throughout the County.
Types Of Services, Assistance
- Door to door licensing of all dogs in the 15 towns and the City of Watertown.
- Contacting delinquent dog owners from computer printouts sent to us by the city and town clerks
- Providing technical assistance in the licensing of dogs.
- Issuing appearance tickets, accusatory instruments and court appearances on unlicensed dogs and violations of court orders.
- Picking up stray, lost, unlicensed and injured dogs.
- Care of dogs at the shelter, feeding and cleaning.
- Redemption and adoption of dogs along with a rabies shot.
- Handling paperwork and funds from redemptions and adoptions.
- Responding to general complaints on dogs and dangerous dogs which have attacked people or domestic animals as defined in Article 7.
- Enforcing local laws and restrictions to all 15 towns
- Responsible for filing of all rabies certificates after clinics are held.
- Investigating all dog bites with follow ups.
- Assisting Public Health Department when needed for rabies control.
- Public awareness displays at events throughout the County, some involve adoption of animals and others are just informational.
- Assisting law enforcement with animal cruelty investigations and other complaints.
- Enforcement of City codes Chapter 81-Animals
- Providing service to nine villages within county jurisdiction (see map below)
Referrals accepted from police agencies, courts, social agencies, SPCA, other Dog Control Officers and individuals.
If you require the assistance of dog control, please consult the map below for the appropriate contact information: