BEGINNING JUNE 15, 2020 THE JEFFERSON COUNTY TREASURERS OFFICE WILL BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. FACE MASKS ARE REQUIRED TO ENTER THE BUILDING.
Payments can be mailed to the office at 175 Arsenal Street, Watertown, NY 13601 or made online. Payments should be made payable to Jefferson County Treasurer.
Click here to make an online tax payment. Please make sure the tax map (parcel) number or 911 address is placed in the ID number section as well as which installment number you are making so your payment can be appropriately identified. There will be a 2.6% plus $.69 convenience fee applied to credit card payments. American Express cannot be accepted but all other major credit cards are available. Payments sent for an incorrect amount could result in a return of the payment.
Call (315)785-3055 or email to email@example.com to receive proper tax amounts owing. Third installments were due on May 29, 2020 so any remaining payments unpaid are subject to penalties and interest.
175 Arsenal Street
Watertown, New York 13601
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sept. 1 thru June 30
Collections through 4:45 p.m. Sept. 1 thru June 30
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. July 1 thru Aug. 31
Collections through 3:45 p.m. July 1 thru Aug. 31
- To maintain an adequate and acceptable financial record system for the County of Jefferson.
- Provide County departments as well as Local, State, and Federal governments with required and informational financial reporting.
- Cash Management.
- Collection of delinquent Village, School, Town and County real property taxes (City of Watertown excluded).
- Serve as depositary for custodial and various trusts; public administrator of estates.
- Responsibility for County employee payroll.
- Administration and collection of Jefferson County Room Occupancy tax.
- Provide services and records to public. Examples are matters concerning real property tax searches, dog damage claims, statistical data regarding sales tax and tax related revenues, and certificates of residency.
Types Of Services, Assistance
- ACCOUNTING: Encumbrance of funds when any item is purchased by Jefferson County and verification on the purchase order that funding will be available and has had budgetary approval. Payment of all audited claims against Jefferson County as well as payment for debt service, payroll, distribution of funds due other governments such as Sales Tax or Real Property Taxes. Review, verify and record all Jefferson County revenue claims and payments received. Provide status reports to other departments monthly and as requested. Provide annual Financial Reports as required by law and for efficient management.
- CASH MANAGEMENT: Prepare an annual projected cash flow from budget as approved by County Board of Legislators. Responsible for available cash balances to pay claims for all funds such as County Roads and Machinery, General (including Social Services), Self Insurance, Fringe Benefits, and Capital Projects. Investment of excess funds within guidelines of County Investment Policy for optimum earnings and all sufficiently insured under FDIC or backed by approved Government Securities. Arrange for sale of Bond Anticipation Notes and Bonds for Capital Projects andor cash needs (Revenue Anticipation Notes) as approved by County Board of Legislators.
Accountability And Credibility
In accordance with the Single Audit act of 1984, Jefferson County contracts with an independent audit firm to annually audit the financial records and statements of the Treasurer's office. Records are maintained under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and in accordance with The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). In addition, internal controls, such as segregation of duties, especially in transactions involving cash, are practiced.